Policies and Procedures
Policy 1241 – Purchases from University Storerooms
July 1, 2004
August 4, 2011
Director of Logistics
Oversight for all University storeroom operations, including contractor-operated storerooms is provided by Procurement Services. Per North Carolina statute, the Secretary of Administration is responsible for storerooms and inventory control. The Secretary of Administration has delegated that responsibility at the University to Procurement Services.
Procurement Services manages the following sites:
- The Dental Storeroom for the School of Dentistry, which carries supplies unique to the Dental School.
- The Mini Storeroom at Central Receiving, which carries copy paper and other large volume products for campus customers.
- The Surplus Property Warehouse, which provides all types of materials to campus customers that have been deemed surplus by campus departments.
- The Fisher Scientific Storeroom at Central Receiving, which supplies the entire campus with scientific supplies.
- The Chemistry Department Storeroom, which carries necessary supplies, exclusively for the Chemistry Department.
Reason for Policy
Purchasing from the storerooms is the preferred method of purchase due to significant cost savings to the University. Products are sold at reduced market prices through established, pre-negotiated contracts.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How can my department purchase scientific supplies that are not offered or carried by the storerooms?
A: If the item is not carried in a University storeroom, the most efficient method is through eProcurement or by University P-Card. If the item is frequently used by your department, contact the storeroom, and, if the frequency of usage merits, it will be added to the inventory
Q: Why can’t my department purchase from the Chemistry Storeroom? Is it because we are not part of the Chemistry Department?
A: The Chemistry Storeroom was specifically established for the Chemistry Department alone and was not advertised in the competitive bid process as a storeroom open to the entire campus. Allowing other departments to purchase from the Chemistry Storeroom would change the scope of the contract and require a new bidding process.
North Carolina General Statute G.S. 143-49(4), Powers and Duties of Secretary
North Carolina General Statute G.S. 143-60, Rules Covering Certain Purchases
North Carolina Division of Purchase and Contract, Administrative Code, Inventories and Stores 01 NCAC 05B .1802
|Purchases from MMD Storeroom||Logisticsemail@example.com|
August 4, 2011
August 5, 2008