Policies and Procedures
Procedure 302.4 – Presenting Foreign Items
July 1, 1999
October 3, 2014
October 3, 2014
Director of Student Accounts
Office of Student Accounts and Univ. Receivables
A foreign item is a check, money order or draft that is not drawn on a U.S. bank or payable in U.S. funds. These items must be sent to the bank for special collection.
Forms and Instructions
1. Fill out 302.4.1f - Request for Collection of a Foreign Item form
2. Attach the foreign item to above-mentioned form and send to:
3. The bank will convert the item to US dollars using the current exchange rate. The rate is subject to change daily. A one-time collection charge may be applied to the transaction. This charge is taken against the proceeds of the conversion.
4. Once the conversion is complete, the bank deposits the proceeds back to Student Accounts. Student Accounts will contact the department and provide the conversion documentation and the net amount of the deposit after the conversion.
5. The department will create an “other” deposit in the University Deposit System to record payment using the net amount and date provided by Student Accounts. The department should use 333333 as the merchant ID for this deposit.
6. For additional information, please contact the Head Teller in the Office of Student Accounts and University Receivables for assistance regarding the collection of foreign items.
October 1, 2014: Updated steps in Forms and Instructions section to conform to ConnectCarolina system.
April 9, 2010
June 24, 2005