NOTICE: The Finance Policies and Procedures Manual, along with the previous manual, is undergoing changes. These sites are continually updated to reflect changes in business processes. If you cannot find the information you are seeking in these policies, email for more information.
Policies and Procedures

Policy 1228 – Purchased Goods as Property of the State

July 1, 1994
Last Updated
September 20, 2010
Responsible University Officer
Director of Purchasing Services
Responsible Unit
Purchasing Services

Policy Statement

All materials purchased by the University remain the property of the State until consumed or disposed of by public sale through Surplus Property procedures. State and University of North Carolina policy prohibits Purchasing Services from entering into any purchase agreements for the personal benefit of employees.

Reason for Policy

This policy is to ensure the purchases of goods and services are not for the personal benefit of any employee at the University.


Items purchased explicitly for retail sales by the University, such as items handled by Student Stores, are exempt from this policy.

Special Situations




Additional Information

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: If I am driving my personal vehicle for University business, may I use the University gas card to make gas purchases?
A: No. When travel by automobile is determined to be appropriate, a State car (if available) should be used instead of a private/personal car. A private car may be used if the round trip is equal to or less than 100 miles. Refer to Policy 1302 for current rates and restrictions.

Q: May I use my purchasing card (P-Card) for personal purchases if I reimburse the University?
A: No. The P-Card is a University obligation and personal purchases are prohibited. For additional information, refer to Policy 1252 and related data item 1252.1rd, the P-Card Handbook.

Q: May I purchase software for personal use through the University in order to get a better price?
A: No. The purchasing power of the state or a state agency (in this case, the University) cannot be used for private advantage or gain. Purchases under contracts made by the state or a state agency, except those in accordance with General Statute 143-58.1, are not permitted for personal use regardless of the funding source. Additionally, state agencies are not permitted to place orders for any item not owned by a state agency.

Q: My department has obsolete computers and equipment. May I purchase these for my son’s school or should I just recycle them?
A: Property of the State may not be purchased directly from the department. All University property must be transferred to Surplus Property. Surplus Property sells to the public at designated times; and you as a member of the public may purchase any item on the sales floor.

Related Data

1213 - Prohibition of Gifts or Favors from Vendors
- University-Owned Surplus Property
- Surplus Computers or Electronic Storage


Purchased Goods Purchasing Services 919-962-3774 919-962-0636
Asset Management Logistics 919-962-6267 919-962-6271


September 20, 2010