NOTICE: The Finance Policies and Procedures Manual, along with the previous manual, is undergoing changes. These sites are continually updated to reflect changes in business processes. If you cannot find the information you are seeking in these policies, email for more information.
Policies and Procedures

Policy 1229 – Responsibility for University-Purchased Supplies and Equipment

March 1, 1998
Last Updated
July 12, 2010
Responsible University Officer
Director of Purchasing Services
Responsible Unit
Purchasing Services

Policy Statement

The administrative head of a University school, department, or division, or the principal investigator (PI) of a sponsored research project, is accountable for all supplies, materials, and equipment purchased in the school’s, department’s or center’s name, regardless of the source of funds. The administrative head is responsible for developing and implementing the internal controls necessary to protect such materials from theft and abuse, and that accurate records be maintained regarding proper identification and location of moveable equipment.

Reason for Policy

This policy establishes responsibility for internal controls over University purchases.



Special Situations



  • None

Additional Information

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: May my department sell or trade in University-owned items, for example, something purchased on ebay?
A: Trading in University property is permitted, but only with prior approval from University Purchasing Services and N.C. State Surplus Property Agency. A department can sell property to another University department or can request the Capital Asset Manager post the item for sale via auction on the State Surplus Property Agency’s website for bid. If a department already has an interested buyer (such as a vendor or another institution), the department is required to submit a letter to the Director of Logistics requesting permission to sell the item at the agreed-upon price. The Director of Logistics then requests permission from State Surplus for the sale. If the State Surplus Property Agency approves the sale, they will bill the receiving institution. Payment must be received by State Surplus Property Agency before the item may be removed from campus.

Q: My department is moving to a location across campus and I need to take my equipment with me. Are there any special considerations concerning this relocation?
A: Yes, you must notify Asset Management of the relocation of the equipment by filling out a 603.5.1f Capital Equipment Relocation Form and submitting it to their office.

Q: Who is responsible for handling the transaction if my equipment is in need of repair under warranty?
A: Purchasing Services will assist the end user with any warranty repairs/issues.

Related Data

603 - Equipment Inventory and Reporting


Post-Purchase Responsibility Purchasing Services 919-962-3774 919-962-0636
Asset Management Logistics 919-962-6267 919-962-6271


July 12, 2010
June 25, 2003