NOTICE: The Finance Policies and Procedures Manual, along with the previous manual, is undergoing changes. These sites are continually updated to reflect changes in business processes. If you cannot find the information you are seeking in these policies, email for more information.
Policies and Procedures

Procedure 1270.1 – Reporting Moving Expenses for Reimbursement

December 10, 2010
Last Updated
October 6, 2014
Last Reviewed
October 6, 2014
Responsible University Officer
Director of Purchasing Services
Responsible Unit
Procurement Services

Procedure Statement

Moving expenses may be reimbursed or paid in one of three ways. The employee may be reimbursed, the employing department may choose to provide the employee with a cash advance for the anticipated expenses, or the moving company may be paid directly. Moving expense reimbursements and direct payments are reported to Payroll Services to be included in the employee’s W-2.

The employee pays all moving expenses and is then reimbursed based upon the receipts. The reimbursement would be submitted on a Campus Voucher. The employee may be reimbursed for airfare or automobile expense, including fuel purchased for multiple vehicles, lodging expense, meals eaten on the road, and miscellaneous moving supplies. All must be substantiated by receipts. Mileage and subsistence per diems do not apply. Moving expenses should be carefully documented and charged to account 528430. Coding to account 528430 drives the tax reporting for the expense.

The department may choose to provide the new employee with a cash advance for their anticipated expenses. This advance would be made up-front and would have to be reconciled within 30 days of the completion of the move. This might be the preferred option when the moving allowance is limited. The payment method is a Campus Voucher accompanied by a cash advance agreement. See details in Policy 307 - Cash Advance.

The mover may be paid directly. If the expense is less than $5,000 a Campus Voucher would be submitted along with the vendor invoice. An expense in excess of $5,000 must be submitted on a requisition and be accompanied by three estimates. It is not necessary that the employee choose the lowest estimate, but they must include an explanation as to why if they did not select the lowest-cost mover. The employee whose moving expenses are being paid must be listed, along with their PID, in the comments.

Forms and Instructions

Instructions for creating both a campus voucher and a requisition may be found on the Finance and Accounting training webpage under Procurement.

Related Data



October 1, 2014: Updated instructions in Procedure Statement; added Related Data item; revised account numbers and references to campus vouchers and requisitions.
December 10, 2010