NOTICE: The Finance Policies and Procedures Manual, along with the previous manual, is undergoing changes. These sites are continually updated to reflect changes in business processes. If you cannot find the information you are seeking in these policies, email for more information.
Policies and Procedures

Policy 1303 – Authorization for University Travel

December 1, 2000
Last Updated
December 18, 2014
Last Reviewed
December 18, 2014
Responsible University Officer
Director of Systems and Operations
Responsible Unit
Systems and Operations

Policy Statement

All travel by University employees on University business is to be authorized by the agency head (Chancellor) or Chancellor’s delegate. Travel by senior University administrators, except for in-state day travel, requires authorization as follows:

1) Travel by the Chancellor shall be authorized by either the Executive Vice Chancellor/Provost or the Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration or their designees.

2) Travel by Vice Chancellors and others who report directly to the Chancellor shall be approved by the Chancellor or a person designated to do so by the Chancellor.

3) Travel by Deans and others who report directly to the Executive Vice Chancellor/Provost shall be authorized by the Executive Vice Chancellor/Provost or a person designated to do so by the Executive Vice Chancellor/Provost.

Individuals who are designated to approve travel shall ensure that an alternate approver is available in cases where the principal approver is unavailable.

Senior University administrators are defined as:

a) Chancellor and direct reports to the Chancellor,

b) Deans,

c) Members of the Cabinet who report directly to the Chancellor, except for the President of the General Alumni Association.

For employees who are not designated as a senior University administrator, department heads or comparable administrators have been given this delegation.

Reason for Policy

In the event of an accident or injury while in travel status this approval would insure that worker's compensation claims are considered.



Special Situations

All out-of-state and foreign travel funded by contracts or grants requires prior agency approval. Federal contracts and grants require the use of U.S.-flagged airline carriers when leaving and returning to the United States unless otherwise approved by the sponsoring agency.


Procedure 1303.1 – Authorization for Travel by Senior University Administrators

Additional Information

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Do I need to submit a travel request to obtain permission from my department head for a University business trip?
A: It is not necessary to submit an electronic travel request to obtain permission. Your department may have an internal form or procedure that should be followed for employees who are not senior University administrators. Senior University administrators shall use the Authorization for Travel and Reimbursement by Senior University Administrators Form 1303.1.1f.

Q: May I pay for my own conference registration and seek reimbursement afterward?
A: It is highly preferred (per Policy 1309) that employees work with their department to pre-pay the vendor directly for the traveler’s conference registration fee using the pre-payment function via Travel Authorization in Web Travel. Employees must provide a justification for paying with their own monies if they wish to receive a reimbursement for the costs for the registration.

Related Data



Travel Provisions Travel Services 919-962-0210 919-962-2356
Travel Policy Systems & Operations 919-843-5098 919-962-2356


December 18, 2014: Added to FAQ section on advance justification.
January 13, 2014: Exception for in-state day travel made in Policy Statement section.
May 1, 2013: Added travel authorization information and definition of senior University officials.
January 31, 2011