NOTICE: The Finance Policies and Procedures Manual, along with the previous manual, is undergoing changes. These sites are continually updated to reflect changes in business processes. If you cannot find the information you are seeking in these policies, email for more information.
Policies and Procedures

Policy 1304 – University Travel Advances

January 4, 2011
Last Updated
March 11, 2015
Last Reviewed
March 11, 2015
Responsible University Officer
Director of Systems and Operations
Responsible Unit
Systems and Operations

Policy Statement

Travel advances may be made when necessary to enable faculty or staff to travel to foreign countries only. Students may receive advances as necessary to travel on official University business. These advances are, in effect, loans made to travelers. The traveler is responsible for prompt repayment of any advance or loan and must seek reimbursement for expenses incurred by submitting a travel reimbursement request.

Reason for Policy

This policy clarifies the travel advance process.


Travel advances will not be issued to non-employees.

Special Situations



  • 1304.1 - Requesting a Travel Advance
  • 1304.2 - Purchasing an Airfare Ticket

Additional Information

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I am a staff employee required to take a trip for the University. I have no credit cards. Am I allowed a travel advance?
A: No, the Diners Club Card is available for University business travelers. See Policy 1307.

Q: May I get my travel advance electronically deposited into my bank account?
A: No, travel advances are issued from a petty cash account that has no electronic payment capability at this time.

Q: A department faculty member received a letter saying his travel advance had not been reconciled. I have searched my monthly expense reports and do not see any such advance made to him. This must be an error.
A: Travel advances are issued from an account maintained by Travel Services, not from your departmental account. The account is not charged until the travel reimbursement is paid.

Q: The travel advance I received was exactly the amount I spent on my trip. Why do I need to do a travel reimbursement?
A: The travel advance remains entered into record or “on the books” as an accounts receivable and a personal loan to you. Until you turn in your receipts and complete the reimbursement, your department account is not charged and you are subject to have this amount deducted from your payroll check.

Related Data



Travel Advances Travel Services 919-962-0210 919-962-2356
Travel Policy Systems & Operations 919-843-5098 919-962-2356


March 11, 2015: Removed travel advance exclusion.
January 4, 2011