NOTICE: The Finance Policies and Procedures Manual, along with the previous manual, is undergoing changes. These sites are continually updated to reflect changes in business processes. If you cannot find the information you are seeking in these policies, email for more information.
Policies and Procedures

Policy 1308 – Travel Expenses

May 7, 2001
Last Updated
April 26, 2017
Last Reviewed
April 26, 2017
Responsible University Officer
Director of Systems and Operations
Responsible Unit
Systems and Operations

Policy Statement

Travel, subsistence and other allowed expenditures will be reimbursed to authorized University employees and others traveling on official University business. Reimbursements will be made at the amount authorized by State regulations, unless a higher allowance (excess subsistence) has been specifically approved.

Travel reimbursements to senior University administrators require authorization as follows:

1) Travel reimbursement to the Chancellor shall be authorized by either the Executive Vice Chancellor/Provost or the Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration or their designees.

2) Travel reimbursement to Vice Chancellors and others who report directly to the Chancellor shall be approved by the Chancellor or a person designated to do so by the Chancellor.

3) Travel reimbursements to Deans and others who report directly to the Executive Vice Chancellor/Provost shall be authorized by the Executive Vice Chancellor/Provost or a person designated to do so by the Executive Vice Chancellor/Provost.

Individuals who are designated to approve travel or travel reimbursement should ensure that an alternate approver is available in cases where the principal approver is unavailable.

For employees who are not designated as a senior University administrator, department heads or comparable administrators have been given this delegation.

Reason for Policy

The policy ensures compliance with State and University travel policies. It also serves to establish guidelines for approval, control and accounting for employees and others who travel on University business.


The University will NOT reimburse travelers for the following expenses:

  • Cost for personal travel before or after business travel.  (see Policy 1310 for details)
  • Any expenses related to the personal negligence of the traveler, such as non-canceled hotel reservation.
  • Fines (including parking fines, speeding tickets, etc.).
  • Loss or damage expenses for personal property, such as lost or stolen articles, damage to personal vehicles, clothing or other items.
  • Entertainment expenses, such as fees for social or non-mandatory activities at conferences (tours, sports activities, etc.), alcoholic beverages (never allowable from state funds), inordinately expensive meals and lodging, videos or movies charged to hotel/motel bills, etc.
  • Vehicle expenses (other than rental, mileage, parking and tolls), such as charges to gain entry to a locked vehicle and towing charges.
  • Travel expenses (including child care) related to family members or companions.
  • Expenses for accidents or injuries when the employee is not on official business.
  • Expenses related to care of the traveler’s family or home (e.g., pet-sitting or house-sitting expenses).
  • Expenses to be paid by a third party.

The above list is not all-inclusive.

Special Situations

When two or more persons travel together, it is necessary for each person to submit a separate Travel Request form for expenses for meals, lodgings, tips, and transportation by public carrier. However, when two or more persons use the same personal or State car, only one person should report the cost of operating the car.

Reimbursement to an employee sharing a room with another employee will be limited to one-half of the occupancy rate if both claim expense for the room.

Reimbursement to an employee sharing a room with a relative will be limited to the single occupancy rate.

Allowances will be paid for meals for partial days of travel when the partial day is the day of departure or the day of return. The following table details the requirements to claim such reimbursement.

Meal Day of Departure Day of Return Comments
Breakfast Leave before 6:00 a.m. N/A Must extend the workday 2 hours
Lunch Leave before 12 noon Return after 2:00 p.m. Cannot be claimed unless either the trip requires an overnight stay or the cost of the lunch is part of a registration fee
Dinner Leave before 5:00 p.m. Return after 8:00 p.m. Must extend the workday by 3 hours


  • 1308.1 - Reimbursing Travel Expenses

Additional Information

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I prefer to drive my own car to a seminar in Washington, D.C. Will I be reimbursed for mileage at the current rate?

A: A traveler is expected to use the least expensive method of transportation. If a state car is available and you choose to drive your own car, you will be reimbursed at the personal usage rate specified in Policy 1310.

Q: I am attending a seminar in the Research Triangle Park that lasts two days. May I be reimbursed for meals and lodging?

A: No. Meals and lodging are only reimbursed if the travel destination is at least 35 miles from the closer of your duty station or home.

Q: May I use the frequent flyer miles I earn for business travel for my personal travel?

A: Frequent flyer miles earned by a state employee while traveling on state business at state expense are the property of the state. Frequent flyer miles accumulated by an individual state employee during previous state business trips should, to the extent possible, be used by the state employee accumulating the frequent flyer miles while traveling on future state business trips.

Q: Can you give an example of a third-party expense?

A:  Example of a third-party expense:  If you attend a conference, and a vendor has paid for airfare, hotel and food.  You cannot be reimbursed for airfare, hotel or receive a per diem for food.

Related Data

1308.1.1rd - Reference List of Travel Expenses


Travel Procedures Travel Services 919-962-0213 919-962-2356
Travel Policy Systems & Operations 919-843-5098 919-962-2356


April 26, 2017: Updated and added FAQs to address travel with personal component and necessary authorization.
December 15, 2016: Updated FAQ question on travel to Washington to point to Policy 1310 rather than specify an amount so that we do not overlook this question and provide conflicting amounts.
May 1, 2013: Added information on travel reimbursements for senior University officials.
March 28, 2011
September 29, 2008