NOTICE: The Finance Policies and Procedures Manual, along with the previous manual, is undergoing changes. These sites are continually updated to reflect changes in business processes. If you cannot find the information you are seeking in these policies, email for more information.
Policies and Procedures

Procedure 1401.1 – Acquiring Insurance for University Vehicles

June 12, 2009
Last Updated
October 7, 2014
Last Reviewed
October 7, 2014
Responsible University Officer
Director of Risk Management Services
Responsible Unit
Risk Management Services

Procedure Statement

All University-owned vehicles, trailers and mobile equipment are covered under the master insurance policy of the state of North Carolina. Certain insurance coverage is automatically placed while other coverages must be specifically requested. Campus departments should contact Risk Management Services to assure all the necessary insurance coverage is in place for their vehicles.

Forms and Instructions

All University vehicles, including trailers and mobile equipment, are automatically provided with liability insurance once the vehicle is titled and the University takes ownership. Campus departments do not have to arrange for this liability insurance. Rather, the University has an agreement with our insurance company whereby liability insurance is automatically placed, thereby eliminating this reporting process and the possibility of omissions. Liability insurance is mandatory in North Carolina and all University vehicles carry the same limit of liability insurance.

Campus departments may also purchase Collision Insurance, Comprehensive Insurance or medical payments insurance for their vehicles, trailers or mobile equipment. These coverages are optional and are not automatically provided.

Campus departments interested in any of these optional coverages should contact Risk Management Services. Any request to place these coverages must be made in writing and can be made at any time during the year. The insurance coverage will be made effective immediately once the written request is received. The campus department will be charged an additional annual premium based on the optional coverages purchased. Risk Management Services can provide this premium information which is based on the type of vehicle being insured and the type of coverage. All insurance premium charges are completed through ConnectCarolina.

Campus departments that rent a vehicle for less than 30 days from a rental agency do not need to request these optional coverages. The University's insurance automatically provides these coverages for short term rental vehicles as well as the mandatory liability coverage.

Neither the mandatory liability insurance nor the optional insurance coverages will apply in foreign countries other than Canada. Any campus department that may operate a University-owned or rental vehicle in a foreign country other than Canada should contact Risk Management Services for assistance with securing the necessary insurance coverage.

Related Data

General Statute ยง 58 31 55


October 1, 2014: Updated link and references to financial systems.
June 12, 2009