NOTICE: The Finance Policies and Procedures Manual, along with the previous manual, is undergoing changes. These sites are continually updated to reflect changes in business processes. If you cannot find the information you are seeking in these policies, email for more information.
Policies and Procedures

Policy 904 – Dual Employment

December 1, 2003
Last Updated
January 30, 2013
Responsible University Officer
Director of Budget Office
Responsible Unit
Budget Office

Policy Statement

Dual employment is a State-wide policy that applies when one State agency needs the services of an employee of another State agency on a part-time, consulting, or contractual basis. The Dual Employment Policy applies to all full-time, permanent State employees, both EPA and SPA, and to all State agencies. All payments for services must be made by the Borrowing Agency directly to the Parent Agency of the employee borrowed, not to the employee, and must include appropriate employer’s matching social security (and retirement contributions if a joint appointment).

The Parent Agency has control over the services of the employee and is responsible for the regular compensation of the employee. The Borrowing Agency seeks an employee from another state agency on a temporary or part-time basis. A written agreement must be approved by both agencies for the services of an employee. If a Dual Employment arrangement is ongoing, it must be renewed annually. Also, a new agreement must be signed if there is a change in the source of pay for the services rendered or at the beginning of a new fiscal year.

Reason for Policy

The dual employment policy is a statewide uniform policy to be followed when one State department secures the services of an employee of another State department on a part-time, consulting, or contractual basis.


  • Public School System
  • Community Colleges
  • Employees of cities and counties
  • If an employee is being borrowed for services under a sponsored (usual Federal) contract or grant, a Dual Employment Certification Form should be limited to the period of the contract or grant, instead of the fiscal year constraint listed above.

Special Situations



  • 904.1 - Dual Employment: UNC-CH as the Borrowing Agency
  • 904.2 - Dual Employment Payment Request
  • 904.3 - Dual Employment: UNC-CH as the Parent Agency
  • 904.4 - Joint Appointment Pay
  • 904.5 - SPA Additional Pay with Other State Agencies

Additional Information

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Are nine-month EPA Employees subject to dual employment policy during the summer while considered a “free agent?”

A. The State Personnel Policy for Dual Employment states that a nine-month employee is normally considered to be a “free agent” during the summer, even though the employee is paid on a 12-month basis. If the employee receives additional salary (in addition to the nine-month salary paid over 12 months) from the parent institution for summer employment, the employee is not considered a “free agent” and would be subject to the Dual Employment Policy.

If a borrowing institution hires a nine-month employee who is not receiving salary from the parent institution, an appointment can be established between the institution and employee in order for a direct payment to be made to the employee. However, if the employee is receiving additional salary, this needs to be communicated to the borrowing agency, and a dual employment arrangement will need to be completed.

Q: Can travel expenses be reimbursed by the dual employment policy?
A: No. Commuting expenses between the parent agency and the borrowing agency are not reimbursable. However, the borrowing agency can reimburse the employee directly for any travel and/or subsistence expense related to the performance of services for the borrowing agency. Such reimbursements are subject to the State travel policies.

Q: Are graduate students subject to the dual employment policy?
A: No. Only permanent full-time EPA and SPA employees are subject to the policy.

Related Data

North Carolina Office of State Human Resources Dual Employment Policy

State Travel Policy


Dual Employment Budget Office 919-966-3251 919-962-1453
Additional Pay Payroll Office 919-962-0046 919-962-5077


January 30, 2013: Revised Frequently Asked Questions response on “free agents.”
January 25, 2012